Geological Curators Group Events Policy
The Geological Curators' Group (GCG) organises events which it feels will be of benefit to its membership, and others who work in related fields. This policy sets out how you can best interact with our events programme to ensure you get the most out of our events.
- Finding out about events
- Our primary method for disseminating events is via our website, https://www.geocurator.org/events
- Notification of events will also appear on our social media feeds, primarily Facebook and Twitter
- Where possible we will post details on relevant e-mail distribution lists such as Geocurators and NatSCA JiscMail lists
- We may also send e-mail notifications to those people who have provided their e-mail address for such purposes
- Those members without internet access will be notified in the printed version of our newsletter, Coprolite
- We offer a range of flexible booking options. As many of our events are size-limited, you are advised to book early.
- Details of how to book will be linked from the event description web page, accessed as above.
- Our preferred method to receive bookings is via our website, with payment using our chosen provider, currently PayPal. Completing your booking in this way immediately guarantees your place at the event.
- We will provide an alternative booking option if you are not able to use our online booking facility.
- We also support other methods of payment including BACS transfer and cheque, however please be aware that your booking is considered provisional until we receive cleared funds into our accounts
- Bookings for events will normally close one calendar month before the start date, and we also require cleared payment by this date. This is essential to allow us to calculate the correct numbers for catering, seating etc.
- We may, for operational reasons, specify an earlier or later closing date for certain events. This will always be communicated clearly via our website and other channels.
- You may cancel your booking at any time. This section sets out how we will handle your refund, if any.
- If you cancel your booking before the closing date specified when you made your booking then you will receive a full refund. We will send this using the same method we received it.
- If you cancel your booking after the closing date specified when you made your booking, then we cannot guarantee a full refund. This will depend on such factors as whether specialist catering has already been booked, or if we are able to fill your place from a waiting list. We may choose to offer a partial refund or credit against a future event.
- We will treat a "no-show" at any event as a cancellation with no notice given.
- In the unlikely event that GCG has to cancel an event, all attendees will receive a full refund of any fees already paid. GCG will not be held responsible for any additional expenses occurred (e.g. train tickets or hotels) as a result of any decision to cancel an event.
- Getting to the event
- GCG will keep you updated in the weeks leading up the event. Please ensure that your contact details are up to date, including a way to contact you on the day. We will often post maps and other useful information on the event detail pages on our website
- You are responsible for making your own way to our events, safely and in good time. Please make sure you know where the event is being held and have checked for local availability of e.g. car parking.
- Any "lift-sharing" arrangements are undertaken entirely at the risk of the individuals involved. GCG will take no responsibility for any loss or damages arising from such arrangements. If in doubt you are advised to book licensed, insured transport.
- If you have any special requirements, for example, access, medical, or dietary, please notify the programme secretary in advance so that we can be aware of any adjustments that need to be made
- At the event
- GCG carries Public Liability insurance through our affiliation with The Geological Society of London. Copies are available for viewing upon request.
- Please behave courteously at all times, and obey the local rules of the host organisation.
- We normally welcome photography and interactions with social media, however there may be local restrictions in place on the day which we will notify you of. Please also refer to our Social Media policy.
- We will record the event using digital media such as photography, video and audio recordings. We will store these and use them for future promotion of the group, for example on the website, blogs and in presentations. If you object to appearing in such recordings, please let us know when you make your booking.
- After the event
- If you have ideas for suitable events, or would like to host an event, please contact us.
23/05/2018: Original document
10/11/2018: Added additional clauses concerning specification of event closing date, and car sharing arrangement