Membership of GCG
Membership of the Geological Curators’ Group is open to anyone interested in geology, and will be of particular interest to any individuals or organisations responsible for the care of geological collections, the interpretation or promotion of geological specimens or sites, as well as conservators, historians of geology, volunteers, collectors or preparators. If you wish to see an improvement in curatorial standards, and increased awareness of our geological culture and an appreciation of its great heritage, join GCG now!
- Meetings, seminars and workshops are held several times a year covering a wide variety of themes, and held at various venues, usually in museums. Joint meetings with related organisations are especially fruitful.
- Field trips frequently accompany summer meetings.
- The Geological Curator is the Group’s peer-reviewed journal and was first published in September 1974. It contains articles pertaining to all areas of interest for Group members including historical articles, techniques of conservation, preparation and display, reports of meetings, as well as reviews and news.
- Coprolite is the newsletter of the Group and complements the Geological Curator. Published four times a year, it contains up-to-date news of meetings, people, exhibitions and events as well as other ephemeral matters.
- A website with job vacancies, a map of UK regional geological collection, archived publications, links to suppliers, and other useful information.
- The help, advice and comradeship of a profession dedicated to its cause.
Membership is priced to be affordable to all, and only increased when absolutely necessary.
- UK personal subscription is just £20 per annum
- Other rates are available for concessions, institutions and overseas membership
2021 subs now due
Subscriptions for 2021 are due any time from now on, but before paying, please check that you don't already have a Standing Order with us. The amounts will remain the same for 2021.
You can renew your subscription right now via this website. You just need to log-in and follow the options available to you in your account. If you are having trouble logging in, please refer to this document which details how to reset your password and check your username.
Sign up for membership online
You can now join Geological Curators' Group online. Subscriptions run until the end of the calendar year. Follow the links below to choose your membership type.
This subscription is for UK institutions, for example museums and trusts. Please provide the name of one person who will act as primary contact. The institution will receive one copy of each journal and newsletter. Staff or volunteers at the institution will be able to attend GCG events at the members rate, but they have no voting rights at any meetings.
This subscription is for institutions outside the UK, for example museums and trusts. Please provide the name of one person who will act as primary contact. The institution will receive one copy of each journal and newsletter. Staff or volunteers at the institution will be able to attend GCG events at the members rate, but they have no voting rights at any meetings.
Notice of increase of membership fees
During 2021, GCG committee undertook a review of our membership rates and expenses involved in running our committee. The conclusions were as follows:
- Although we hold reasonable reserves, against a backdrop of escalating materials costs (journal printing) and postage costs, the cost of fulfilling certain categories of membership actually exceeds the price of the membership
- In particular, members who receive their publications digitally are in effect subsidising the production and postage of a print run
- It is not appropriate to draw-down our reserves to cover these shortfalls, as the price increases are likely to be permanent, not fluctuations
- Overseas digital members should not be charged a different rate to UK digital members to receive the same product
- We can achieve further cost and efficiency savings on the journal cost by producing one larger edition per year, instead of two smaller ones
Consequently, we have decided to separate the provision of a printed journal from the main membership rate, and charge a surcharge to cover printing and postage. Under this scheme, members who receive their content digitally already will see no change in the amount they pay, or may even need to pay less. Those wanting to retain printed journals will need to slightly increase the amount they pay as follows:
GCG membership (electronic publications): £20 (or local equivalent as calculated by PayPal); plus surcharges:
- UK printed journal +£5
- Overseas (non-UK) printed journal +£15
- Concession -£5
The new rates will become applicable during 2022 for renewal into the 2023 year.
The presentation below was shown to delegates at our 2021 AGM, and summarises our findings:
Your membership of GCG is now enhanced with a number of new features available via the website. These include:
- Join and renew online, paying by card if that suits you
- Archives of past events, including copies of presentations where the speaker has made them available
- Early access to The Geological Curator and the latest Coprolite
- Search the full text of editions of The Geological Curator