The Geological Curators Group (GCG) is a membership organisation founded in 1974, and a charity registered in England and Wales (no. 1198339). We are affiliated to the Geological Society of London (the oldest national geological society in the world) and recognised by Arts Council England as a Subject Specialist Network (SSN). We also have a Memorandum of Understanding with the Natural Sciences Collections Association SSN (NatSCA) and the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections (SPNHC). Further information can be found here.
Our vision: Geological collections thriving for science and society
Geological collections (rocks, minerals and fossils) are vital Earth heritage that help us understand the natural world. The Geological Curators Group strives to connect every geological collection with appropriate resources, knowledge and skills to thrive and positively impact science and society.
We do this by:
- Supporting everyone working with and caring for geological collections of all types
- Advocating the value of expertise in the care and use of geological collections, and their importance for scientific research and education
- Connecting people, skills, information, and collections
- Undertake proactive collections advocacy, whereby we will champion the value and relevance of geological collections, and offer assistance when collections are threatened
- Share and promote best practice in geological collections curation via training, events and community networks, and create and maintain comprehensive resources, that those working with geological collections are able to access easily
- Work with appropriate groups inside and outside the sector and internationally in order to increase our impact and reach – and support more geological collections, more effectively
- Develop GCG financially so that it is able to grow and support more collections, and remain resilient and sustainable
GCG has always been a community, run by members elected from its membership. We take pride in our goals and enjoy working hard to reach them. Geological collections enrich lives and stimulate cutting edge science.
We are inclusive: everyone is welcome to contribute to shaping our organisation and delivering our outcomes.
We empower people in their jobs, and careers and interests, to be able to look after geological collections to the best possible standard.
We draw on the impressive knowledge and expertise of our community to develop professional and trusted advice and resources.
We are forward looking, and use our networks alongside the strength of our membership to remain relevant to the wider sector, enabling a strong voice for collections and the people who work with and care for them.
We are transparent and accountable in our governance and activities.