If you work with or are interested in geological collections, then you should consider getting involved with the running of GCG. The entire committee is run on an unpaid, voluntary basis, and we always have a need for people with varied skills to join the team.
- The most basic way you can get involved is to become a member, or persuade your institution to join up. Membership rates are extremely reasonable and you can join online.
- Please let us know that you're out there! For instance we'd love to know if the entry for your collection is up to date on our Collections Map, or if you are working on an interesting project we might ask you to write a short, non-technical article for our blog. Finally our journal is always looking for new submissions.
- You can e-mail us on
- You can e-mail us on
- There are regular openings for positions on our committee. We meet at least three times a year, either in person or over videoconference.
- We welcome everyone, not just curators: our members are also museum and heritage volunteers, collectors, students, academics, educators, and everyone in between.
- Members of GCG can be elected to committee by our membership at our AGM every year. There are also a number of voluntary officer positions which can provide a useful stepping stone if you are not sure about what the roles entail.
- Certain committee positions also confer trusteeship of the charity. This is set out in our constitution and trustees should abide by the regulations outlined by The Charity Commission for England and Wales.
- We are a small charity, but we will try to help you as much as possible, for instance by providing training that is applicable to your position. Different positions come with different time commitments, but we will discuss this with you before you make any decisions.
- If you are interested, you should keep an eye on these pages (www.geocurator.org/getinvolved) or e-mail the chair on
In the run up to the AGM, 28th November 2023, the GCG has a number of vacant roles available! All positions are volunteer roles, but any expenses incurred on behalf of GCG will be covered.
We are currently looking to fill three committee positions: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator, Communications Coordinator, and an Ordinary Member position. The Committee meets 3 times a year, plus the AGM. There are occasionally shorter ad hoc meetings as other matters arise. Committee roles are generally on a three year rotation, though this can be shorter if required.
These roles are crucial to the smooth running of GCG, however, they are specifically designed to be support roles for the Committee, meaning the post-holder isn't expected to attend Committee meetings, and the time required is generally much lower than for Committee roles.
How to Apply
To apply for the role, please send a paragraph (max 200 words) outlining your interest and what you feel you would bring to the role to
Committee Roles - Other
Although the below roles aren't vacant, anyone can apply for any post in the run up to the AGM. All posts are decided by members' vote. Please get in touch if you are interested in any of the below roles, even if you don't come onto Committee this year, it may be that the post holder going forward would like to share the role, or you can get involved in the role in some other way.
- The Chair for 2023-2025 was voted for by members at the 2021 AGM, when Emma Nicholls became 'Chair-Elect' for 2022
- Blog Editor
- Collections Coordinator
- Journal Editor
- Membership Officer
- Newsletter Editor
- Programme Coordinator
- SPNHC Rep
- Web Coordinator
- Associate Editors for the Geological Curator journal
- Production Editors for the Geological Curator journal
The most important things for anyone looking to become involved in GCG are to have are a passion for geological collections, some expertise in the area (not necessarily through professional means), and have the time to dedicate to the organisation. We are flexible and friendly, and we welcome and encourage applications from all backgrounds.
Some Committee members are also Trustees of GCG. All Trustee positions, subject to application and ratification at an AGM, are for three years, with a possible extension of a second term. They are voluntary posts, but expenses are covered when approved in advance. Trustees must be current members of GCG, and eligible to serve as a charity Trustee under the Charity Commission guidelines here.